The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan is one of those Classic books that technically isn’t a Classic since it was published in 1989. However, it was on the list of suggested books for the Classics Club, so I’m assuming it counts. I added it to my Classics Club list because it’s a book I always meant to read. Despite it sitting on one bookshelf after another as I moved from place to place, I never got around to it. That changes starting Monday, September 7th. Since I’ve been told The Joy Luck Club is one of the essential books for diversifying one’s reading life, I’m inviting all of you to join me.
Below is the schedule. As I’ve already said, we’re starting on September 7th. We’ll be ending Friday, October 23rd, and each Saturday I’ll post a recap (with clearly marked spoilers for those who get a little behind). We’ll be averaging 47 pages per week. I’ll post a final review of the book on Saturday, October 24th.
- Sep. 7th – 12th: Chapters “The Joy Luck Club” and “Scar”
- Sep. 13th – 19th: Chapters “The Red Candle” and “The Moon Lady”
- Sep. 20th – 26th” Chapters “Rules of the Game”, “The Voice from the Wall”, and “Half and Half”
- Sep. 27th – Oct. 3rd: Chapters “Two Kinds” and “Rice Husband”
- Oct. 4th – 10th: Chapters “Four Directions”, “Without the Wood”, and “Best Quality”
- Oct. 11th – 17th: Chapters “Magpies” and “Waiting Between the Trees”
- Oct. 18th – 23rd: Chapters “Double Face” and “A Pair of Tickets”
If you’d like to join in, sign up through the linky with your blog, Twitter, Goodreads, etc. The sign up will close at the end of the 2nd week, Saturday, September 19th.