Since it’s Book Week Scotland, and I’m hosting a read-along for Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott, I decided to dedicate this month’s playlist to Scotland. Below is a link to my Spotify playlist, “Outlander”, named for the book and TV show. I have a significantly longer version on my MP3 player that I listen to whenever I’m reading one of the “Outlander” books, or anything set in Scotland.
This month’s links are a bit all over the place. There’s something interesting for everyone who loves books:
- Òran Tàlaidh Na Mnà-Sìdhe – The lyrics in Gaelic and English to the 2nd song on the playlist.
- Literary Moments in Star Trek: The Next Generation – I love Star Trek TNG, partly for all the literary references.
- Literary Starbucks – Find your favorite author and see how they would order at Starbucks.
- Cool Stuff Librarians Do: Librarians Without Borders
- 32 Books Guaranteed to Make You Laugh Out Loud – I’ve read several of these, so I think this is a pretty good list for those times when you need a good laugh.
- Here’s the Scientific Reason You Get Lost in a Book
- “I’m No Yer Bonny Lass!” On “Outlander” & Scottishness – a critique of the narrow depictions of Scots and Scottish culture. As much as I love the “Outlander” series, I think it’s important to remember that there is more to Scotland than what is most often portrayed in pop culture.
- Never Wait for a Sequel Again: 17 Standalone Fantasy Novels – I’ve read a few of these, and added several of the others to my Wishlist.
- Dear Library by Jackie Kay
- Digital Archive of Scottish Gaelic